A Daf A Day (daf yomi)

A daf yomi blog for discussion, questions and comments on the daily daf.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

What if it gets dark very late?

We say that Beshochvecha- when people go to sleep is interpreted as Tzeit Hakochavim. There are many places in the world outside of Israel that in summer time, the normal average person goes to sleep while it may still be light out, or certainly before the stars come out. What would one use then as a z'man for Kriyat Shema? I am sure Rashi even encountered this in France, where Tzeit Hakochavim can be as late as 11 pm in the summer time. Good luck on the long trek. Danny

1 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger David said...

This question bothered me also. I'm really not sure. My only guess is that the Torah always talks about normal situations and in most geographies in most seasons people go to sleep at those times. It is strange to me though that it wouldn't depend on the time and place to a degree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home